We are going to start inviting patients in for their annual chronic disease reviews through a process called Group Consultations. At the moment we are trailing this process with patients who have COPD.
Why are we doing Group Consultations?
People in our practice tell us that it would be really good to be connected with other people who are living with the same health conditions as they are and going through the same experiences. The Group Consultations appointment provides this and in addition you get to spend more time with your Doctor / Nurse as well as with other people who have the same or similar conditions as you.
This means you have an opportunity to learn about how best to manage you condition, how to stay well, how to prevent illness or slow its progression. You will also hep other patients in the group to learn form you experience, in turn, you will from the experience of your fellow patients, and everyone has a change to gain the support and learning of others who are dealing with similar issues.
Each session will last around 1 – 1.5 hours and your Doctor / Nurse will see you at these sessions and will spend quite a bit of time with you, you will have excellent opportunities for support and guidance on your medical issues.
Summary of things that can be covered in a Group Consultation
- 60-90 minutes with your practice team
- Answers to your medical questions
- Discussion of test results and arrangements for tests/procedures
- Discussion of treatment options in depth
- Prescription changes or renewals/discussion of medication side effects
- Receive preventative tests, examinations and vaccines
- Friendly discussions with others, sharing experiences and tips on how to manage your condition.